Graduate Assistants – Strathmore University Business School
The core function of a Graduate Assistant is to enhance the learning experience of the students by complementing the teaching and research activities of the Faculty to use the learning experience from their own undergraduate course to assist the Associate Dean in development, planning and conducting academic curriculum reviews that are relevant to student needs.
- Teaching and Learning:
- To deliver a range of teaching and assessment activities, including tutorials directed towards the delivery of subjects at undergraduate level.
- To contribute to the development of appropriate teaching materials to ensure content and methods of delivery meet learning objectives.
- To participate in the continuous assessment process, using a variety of methods and techniques and provide effective, timely and appropriate feedback to students to support their learning.
- To participate in the supervision of practical work, advising on skills, methods and techniques to assist the transfer of knowledge.
- To contribute to the ongoing development and design of the curriculum, in a manner that supports a research led and scholarly approach to student learning.
- To engage in professional development as appropriate and regularly update subject related knowledge base.
- To undertake limited administrative duties as requested by the Head of Department.
- To be familiar with subject-based pedagogy.
- To engage in professional development to remain current and ensure application of recent advances in knowledge to teaching.
- To conduct student practice sessions, discussion sessions, review sessions, and similar activities.
- In addition, teaching assistants may be assigned to hold office hours, hold student seminars, evaluate student work, and to perform similar common academic duties.
- Research Assistance:
- To aid faculty in preparation of research proposals and implementation of research projects.
- To assist in collecting various forms of data pertaining to the research project or projects within the school.
- To assist in keeping records of information obtained during research. is may include development and maintenance of a database of information, hard files, etc.
- To assist in data analysis.
- To prepare research reports.
- To assist in conducting literature review in relation to research projects undertaken in the School.
- Participate in the conduct of technical research required by the School.
Skills & Requirements
- First class honours degree or Upper second-class honours with exceptional qualities in Bachelor of Commerce, Management or Economics.
- A Professional qualification is an added advantage.
- Admission/Enrollment into Masters Course in the Faculty will be an added advantage.
- Ability to research.
- Highly motivated, flexible, adaptable and service-oriented, with strong collaborative skills for teamwork and consensus building among staff and faculty.
- Highly professional and very organized.
- Able to prioritize and multitask.
- High level of confidentiality required.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others in an academic environment.
- Strong organization skills with an attention to detail.
- Has the ability to produce concise and comprehensive reports.
- Has personal initiative and works under minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn and innovate as needs of University and Higher Education evolve.
- Integrity and unquestionable work ethics.
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume and letter of application (ONLY) quoting “Graduate Assistant – SBS” on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day (5:30 p.m.) Wednesday 28th August 2019.
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.